Life has been pretty ok the past few days, though. Coven ended wonderfully (Spoiler alert.. I'm the new Supreme) and I watched all of American Horror Story: Asylum in two days. So. Yesterday was productive. Whatever. I'll be productive later today after my nap. It all evens out. It's been a hard week, I needed a small break.
Today the roommates and I went up Emigration Canyon for brunch and honestly there was no better way to welcome in this month. If you get to Utah or are from here, go to this canyon and get lost in this breathtaking drive. My roommate Brooke is a runner so this morning she drove up to the top of the canyon, parked her car, ran home, and we drove her back to her car and ate at Ruth's Diner. Guys. I had biscuits and gravy. No. The best. Forever.
If you know me you know how much I love canyons. I feel so much more settled and grounded when I am twisting through those roads and getting hugged between two goliath mountains. I drove Brooke up to her car and drove back down the canyon alone. I turned on some Mumford and Sons and my car became this insular world in the drifting snowflakes. It was so peaceful and so so serene. It was such a spiritual moment for me. I felt so connected to everything around me. I don't know how anyone can feel truly alone in nature. Seeing those groups of trees in small gossiping clusters on the mountainside feels like home. Something felt right and ok in that moment. I will make it through, it said. It was much needed. I've been needing some reassurance lately after the crap kebob that was the last few weeks. But those are so far behind now, and I'm ready to press onward, even if it is into February.
Good things about February!
- This is the month in which I reread The Book Thief. I can only reread it once a year because feels and this is when I do it. Whenever you feel unhappy, go huddle up with a favorite book. The characters will greet you like old friends. (More thoughts about The Book Thief here.)
- I'm also rereading Gatsby this month. I read the book a couple of times a year by the time the year is over but February is when I really sit down and concentrate on it instead of just picking it up and starting at a random page. (More thoughts here.)
- I'll probably rewatch The Tudors on Netflix. I've been rewatching it every February for some reason and I see no reason to stop now. (Seeing a pattern here? February blows = surround yourself with favorite things.)
- It's almost spring and almost my birthday! Come on March, roar in like the lion you are!
- Ummm February is short? That's a good thing.
- Cold, grey days mean more time inside writing. I'm gonna finish the first draft of my novel this month!
Be kind, February. Be kind. I will try to love you more.